Date:      Mon, 12 Jul 2010 08:16:57 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD GNOME Users <gnome@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SUMMARY: GNOME startup issues

> Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 11:05:35 -0400
> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
>
> On 7/12/10 9:35 AM, Kevin Oberman wrote:
> >> Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 13:39:48 -0400
> >> From: Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@freebsd.org>
> >> Sender: owner-freebsd-gnome@freebsd.org
> >>
> >> Okay, I have been spending time trying to recreate the problems people
> >> have been reporting with GNOME.  The problems are:
> >>
> >> * polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 crashes at startup
> >> * gnome-panel takes too long to start
> >> * Workspace Switcher does not work
> >>
> >> Sadly, I was unable to recreate what I would consider any problems.  I
> >> tested the following configurations:
> >>
> >> * FreeBSD i386 RELENG_8 from July 4 with ports from July 4
> >> * FreeBSD i386 -CURRENT from July 4 with ports from July 4
> >> * FreeBSD amd64 -CURRENT from July 5 with ports from July 5
> >> * FreeBSD i386 RELENG_8 from June 17 with ports from June 18 (in VMWare
> >> Fusion 3.0 on a Mac)
> >>
> >> I tested by starting GNOME from GDM and using startx.  My ~/.initrc has
> >> simply this:
> >>
> >> #!/bin/sh
> >>
> >> exec ck-launch-session gnome-session
> >>
> >> My locale is en_US.UTF-8.  I have procfs mounted, and I can perform:
> >>
> >> ping `localhost`
> >>
> >> Successfully.  I am not running ANY firewalls, and I have not enabled
> >> any blackholes for TCP or UDP.
> >>
> >> When I run GNOME from startx, I do see a delay of about 10 seconds while
> >> waiting for the panel to appear.  This is because gnome-panel is trying
> >> to contact GDM to determine if shutdown/reboot support is enabled.  This
> >> delay is expected in a startx configuration.
> >>
> >> Workspace Switcher has always worked for me.  I tried switching
> >> workspaces with the keyboard shortcut and by clicking on the space in
> >> the lower panel.  Both worked.  I was also able to bring up properties,
> >> and add an additional workspace.
> >>
> >> I was able to see a problem with polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 in
> >> ONE instance.  A core was produced.  This problem seems to occur when
> >> GDM switches the user to the logged in user.  I didn't notice any other
> >> problems related to this, though.
> >>
> >> For those still seeing workspace switch problems, rebuild gnome-panel
> >> with debugging symbols, then bind gdb to workspace switcher, and get a
> >> backtrace when it appears to be hung up.  That's after making sure all
> >> of the above is inline as much as possible with my test machines.
> >
> > I patched and re-built consolekit, re-booted and re-started Gnome. I see
> > no changes in behavior. I see a delay in the panel start and attempting
> > to add to a panel results in a panel freeze for exactly 25 seconds
> > during which the panel is completely frozen, including the portion of the
> > popup menu showing most of the selected "Add to Panel..." item. After
> > exactly 25 seconds, the panel re-draws properly and the Add to Panel
> > window appears. (The individual applets DO update, though.)
> >
> > There is no change in this from pre-patch system.

> [...]
Session1:
	unix-user = '9381'
	realname = 'Kevin Oberman'
	seat = 'Seat1'
	session-type = ''
	active = FALSE
	x11-display = ':0'
	x11-display-device = 'ttyv0'
	display-device = 'ttyv0'
	remote-host-name = ''
	is-local = TRUE
	on-since = '2010-07-12T13:15:46.554682Z'
	login-session-id = ''
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)