Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 01:02:46 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Gideon" <h20soul@mweb.co.za>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FBSD box between cisco and clients

I don't want to sound mean but you don't understand bandwidth limiting
and what you think that your going to be able to do won't work.  Let
me explain.

This is a connection to the Internet - and unless I'm greatly mistaken
and your doing something very different than 99.9% of the people out
there are doing, the vast majority of the traffic on the link to the
Internet is coming FROM the ISP, not going TO the ISP.

Your Cisco is probably connected to a Frame Relay of some such that's
overloaded - and you think that if you limit bandwidth to some of your
network abusers, that you can get the load back down on that link and
make it usable again.  These circuits, by the way, are FULL DUPLEX
meaning that the volume of traffic on the outbound link has no effect on
the volume of traffic on the inbound link.  Unlike Ethernet where when
the Ether gets saturated everyone is affected, an overloaded inbound
link is completely unaffected by the volume of traffic that is placed on
the outbound half of it.

And, therein is your problem.  Sure, you can bandwidth limit traffic
going through your link TO the Internet - no problem.  You don't need
a FreeBSD box for that you can do it right on the Cisco - it supports it.

But, you CANNOT limit bandwidth coming FROM the Internet UNTIL AFTER YOU
HAVE ALREADY RECIEVED THE PACKETS.

So, if for example a client on the inside opens a Real Video stream to a
server at 256K, and you have him bandwidth limited down to 56K, then what is
going to happen is that your inbound link from the Internet will STILL BE
SATURATED with the 256K of traffic coming in from the remote server - and all
that you will accomplish is throwing away 200K of the traffic that you already
received for the client.  That's how bandwidth limiting works, by the way - it
throws away traffic until the threshold is reached.

It works fine on outbound traffic because your Ethernet is so much faster than
the serial line on the Cisco that tossing most of the traffic won't make any
difference.

And, lest some smartass here jumps in with "what about source quench" I have
to sadly report that there are so many moronic networking admins out there
that understand absolutely nothing about firewalling that have all ICMP locked
down (because they think they are protecting against DoS attacks) that you
cannot depend on it working most of the time.

Bandwidth limiting and prioritization works great if you run your own
WAN and have control over both ends of the circuit.  But it's pointless
on Internet connections unless you can get the ISP to do it.  But of
course if they do then they are wasting their own feed bandwidth so most
won't.  Sorry, your going to just have to bite the bullet and pay for that
fractional T1. :-)