Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 10:01:26 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Richard J. Finn" <rfinn@Houston-InterWeb.COM>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mounting a tape

On Mon, Sep 22, 1997 at 05:56:06PM -0500, Richard J. Finn wrote:
> I'm having trouble using my tape drive.
>
> 	I'm not sure of the exact brand and all,

Well, the probe told you on the line before the one you quote.  But it
doesn't look important right now.

>       but the kernel detects it as:
> 	st0(ahc0:6:0): Sequential-Access density code 0x13,  drive empty
>
> 	How do I mount this drive so I can use mt and tar with it?

I haven't heard the term "mount a tape" since my MVS days, which are
mercifully long gone.

The devices corresponding with st0 are /dev/rst0 (rewinding) and
/dev/nrst0 (non-rewinding).  Typically, if you set the environment
variables TAPE and NTAPE to these two names, you don't need to specify
a name at all to mt and tar.

Greg