Date:      Tue, 26 May 1998 23:06:23 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        Jay <jay@oneway.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: T1 CSU cards

> Good afternoon,
>
> 	I am currently working on a project that requires me to place a T1
> into a FreeBSD box.  I have been through the archives and have seen
> T1-serial cards without CSU..  Can anyone point me in the direction of T1
> cards with integrated CSU for FreeBSD?  Does such an animal exist?

Just to be clear - there are perhaps three alternative hardware bits, and
you've mentioned two.  What's unclear is which two :-)

1.  A high-speed serial card with a V.35 or EIA-530 DTE interface.  This wants
to be plugged into an external CSU/DSU or null modem which supplies clock
and data (both Transmit and Receive).

2.  A high-speed serial card with a built-in CSU/DSU.  You plug a T-1 line
right into it, perhaps connected to a smart-jack.   The T-1 line goes
out of the building to a local central office.  If lightning gets too
close to this sort of wire, then you get bit errors and then it's better.
Or at least the hardware doesn't burst into flame.

3.  A high-speed serial card with a built-in DSU.  You plug a DSX-1 level
line into it.  This type of connection isn't "protected", and isn't
connected to an outside-plant loop.  If lightning gets too close to this
sort of wire, then the hardware explodes.

I think you were asking about a product that does #2 as compared to a #1.

I've seen some CompactPCI boards that do this (only because I've been looking
at CompactPCI hardware).  I believe that SDL makes boards that do #2, and there
are others too.

louie