Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:05:49 -0400
From:      Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hubs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Where to go from here

There hasn't been much time for Cejka's comments to settle in.  But
IMO his comments are not something that should be passed on to re@ and
portmgr@.  They should be passed on to the Mirror System
Coordinator(s) because I think they all address things that the
re@/portmgr@ folks won't feel they should be involved in.  I get the
feeling they think the Mirror System is a big black box, they're the
users of that box but they'd prefer it if they did not need to know
how it works or tinker around in it.  All of those ideas are good and
should be looked into but I think it's us that need to do the looking,
not re@/portmgr@.

I propose the following:

	1) We pass on my version of the doc to re@/portmgr@ to see
	   what they say.  I think if they start to do things that
	   way the existing mirror structure should work a bit better.

	2) Amongst ourselves we work to make the mirror system
	   better.  There was the idea I floated earlier about the
	   timestamp files along with the ideas Cejka sent out.
	   Cejka's are better ideas as far as functionality goes,
	   the only issue IMO would be getting enough sites to buy
	   in at the Tier-1 level and I have no idea right now
	   if that's easy or hard.  Hopefully it's easy. :-)

Does anyone (Cejka in particular :-) see a problem with that?

--
						Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith@cse.buffalo.edu