Date:      Tue, 30 Jan 1996 20:18:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      pete@pelican.com (Pete Carah)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: QIC-3080: density & length

Michael Smith writes:

> Pete Carah stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > >Odd, I've read lots of people saying that they're lemons.  Sorry.
> >
> > Well, I was never able to get one to stream on a SS1000 that easily
>
> Ok, that settles it for me. 8)

FBSD may be better; the DMA limit is higher.  On the other hand it's
less than half as fast as a DLT so if the DLT can stream at a 64k
blocksize (-b 126) I'd hope the Conner would.

> > If you need speed and don't worry about $$$ I'd recommend a DLT,
> > though I've never tried one (directly; with /etc/rmt it won't
> > stream from either fbsd or a SS20 but I'd expect that) on freebsd
> > either :-)  As long as fbsd's tape driver can handle variable
> > blocksize it should be fine.
>
> That's really strange; we use rmt for all our backups (Sony SDT-5200)
> and it streams almost all of the time.  The backup server's just a
> 486 with an NE2000 in it, and it's often running X.
> You may be loaded more heavily though...

Well, the Sun QIC tape driver has a DMA limit of 64k; that may have
something to do with it.  The DAT/DLT/Reel driver goes longer but
then you get big blocks that things like SGI's can't read :-(  (and
the DLT still streams with gnu tar at -b 126).

The usual conditions for our rmt dumps are ss20 -> SS1000, both otherwise
unloaded (well, the ss20 is sometimes running X with no other activity).
(or FBSD (P100) -> SS1000; still won't stream and the net is not very
busy either).

The Sun console driver is very slow; if you dump "tar cvf /dev/rmt/xxx"
a full-system dump goes almost twice as fast with the tty on X...  That
is not relevant for our video streams though (1/2 gig single files).

I'm likely to use a DAT for backup at home and my isp friends; the
choices at the moment are Conner (archive) (which SGI distributes) or
HP (one of two models; I don't know the difference.)

Currently at home I use a Wangtek QIC525 drive; it works great.

-- Pete