Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2000 15:33:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Castor Fu" <castor@geocast.com>
To:        "Chad R. Larson" <chad@DCFinc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alternative network media

On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Chad R. Larson wrote:

> So, I bought this ultra-slim Sony notebook (Vaio SR-5K) and it has
> both USB and Firewire ports on it.  That got me thinking.  Has
> anyone tried to develop IP drivers for either of those?

USB is not a peer-peer scheme, so you'd have to have the appropriate
magic dongle.  For most of people, that's probably an ethernet-USB
adapter.  For firewire, under windows, Sony ships an IP stack.

The NetBSD folks have made some headway.  Here's the comments the inital
if_fw.c:

revision 1.1
date: 2000/11/05 17:17:15;  author: onoe;  state: Exp;
First Prototype implementation of network interface part for IEEE1394 (if_fw).

Current status:
        Only OHCI chip is supported (fwohci).
        ping (IPv4) works with Sony's implementation (SmartConnect) on Win98.
        sometimes works but not stable.
Not implemented yet:
        IRM (Isochronous Resource Manager) functionality.
        Link layer fragmentation.
        Topology map.
More to do:
        clean ups