Date:      Mon, 17 Jun 1996 23:45:57 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.hb.north.de>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Trap 12/supervisor read, page not present

>>    Like I said, this is a "known" problem. What I don't understand is why you
>>see it happen so often. It takes literally *months* of heavy system activity
>>for me to reproduce this sometimes, which is why it has taken so long to fix
>>it. We'll be looking at this problem again this week, but I can give no
>
>Hmm.  im not deep enough inside the vm code to take a guess whether
>it may be related or not but, i just made a new -stable kernel again
>(now ctm-cvs-cur 2130) and the hold count problem (kern/1195) is
>still there.  system just booted, otherwise completely idle except for
>a few xterms and a xperfmon:  after having written stables /usr/obj this
>time i have 21 of those (DIAGNOSTIC-panic-patched-into-printf, see PR)
>messages on the xconsole...
>
>find obj | afio -G 2 -o -v -f -b 5120 -c 1000 -s 100000x -Z /dev/nrst0
>(this was the test.  CPU 486dx100, tape Wangtek 525ES, PCI NCR SCSI.)

   This appears to be caused by an unrelated bug in the physio code.

> ATB and sorry if this is old news and of no use

   I appreciate all the information you've provided on the problem. I'll be
looking forward to having you test a fix if/when we come up with one for the
"invalid kernel page directory" problem (and perhaps also the bug you've
reported above).

>PS: is the Root.COM a real address?  i cant nslookup right now
>(still no flat rates in germany), therefore cc'd to the list...

   Of course.

-DG

David Greenman