Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 18:30:28 +0100
From:      Sven Hazejager <sven@chain.demon.nl>
To:        johan.andersson@combindweb.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation...

Hi,

You need to get a customized kernel up and running, which supports your
RAID card AND supports the MFS root option. Then create the two
installation floppies, kern.flp and mfsroot.flp. Replace the kernel.gz
on the installation floppy with the one you created. Then install
FreeBSD, using the floppies to boot. After installing, FreeBSD will fail
to boot because it has installed a new kernel without support for your
RAID card ;-). Simply boot from floppies, with the rootdev option at the
boot loader set to your hard disk. And then copy the kernel from the
floppy to /.
I've done this just yesterday with a 3Ware RAID controller. Search
deja.com for extra information.

Good luck,

Sven

"johan.andersson" wrote:

> Hello!
> I have a big problem installing FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE
> The problem is:
> I have a Raid-card (Adaptec 7896), but the freebsd-installation say that it can not find any disk.
>
> How do I fix this?
> The mashine is going to be a webserver, and I need it up and running now...
>
> Thanks
> // Johan Andersson

You know, if there's one thing I've learned from being in the army, it's
never ignore  a pooh-pooh.  I knew a major:  got  pooh-poohed;  made the
mistake of ignoring  the pooh-pooh  --  he pooh-poohed it.  Fatal error,
because it turned out all along that the soldier who pooh-poohed him had
been  pooh-poohing  a  lot of  other  officers,  who  pooh-poohed  their
pooh-poohs. In the end, we had to disband the regiment -- morale totally
destroyed ... by pooh-pooh!