Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 1996 15:13:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov (Sean Kelly)
Cc:        bwern@jaxnet.com, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Access Control Apps?

Sean Kelly wrote:

> Controlling access to a building?  This sounds similar to things
> Steve Passe <smp@csn.net> and I were talking about.
>
> For home use, there's an electronic door strike plate you can get.
> Run 16VDC through it and it unlocks, allowing you to push the door
> open.  Hook this up to a small transformer and small relay.  Now, hook
> up a card reader, a numeric weatherproof keypad, or a microphone (and
> write some sophisticated voice recognition software) outside, and have
> it send results to the computer.  Have the computer close the relay
> for about 10 seconds after identifying the person who wants to get
> in.  Piece o' cake!

	yep!  we had a manager that wanted a "project plan" for this thing!
	we subverted the effort.  we put it together in 2 days.  rs445,
	rf card reader with antenna, card database, and interface to add/
	remove/ disable/ enable cards from/ in/ to/ the system.

	we submitted the "project plan" the next morning.  two words:

		project complete.   ;)

	funmny we forgot to enable the manager's card.  but it was great for
	bring pizza back to the office.  just walk on up to hte door,
	reads the card in your shirt pocket, push the door open with your butt.

--
Jonathan M. Bresler           FreeBSD Postmaster             jmb@FreeBSD.ORG
FreeBSD--4.4BSD Unix for PC clones, source included. http://www.freebsd.org/