Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 14:48:56 -0400
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@attbi.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   How to remote debug a network device driver?

Hi,

I am trying to learn about FreeBSD kernel development.  I
have set up two machines with -CURRENT, and have connected
them via null modem cable.  I have followed the instructions
in the Developer's Handbook, "On-Line Kernel Debugging Using Remote GDB"
( http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/developers-handbook/x9972.html )
and can successfully debug remotely using gdb.

What I am interested in doing is learning more about how the FreeBSD
networking system works.  What I would like to do is, from machine A,
ping machine B.  On machine A, I would like to set a breakpoint in the
network device driver when the upper layers in the networking stack
calls the device driver to transmit data.

I am interested in debugging the following drivers:
- fatm , from Harti Brandt's Netgraph ATM subsystem:
http://www.fokus.fhg.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/ngatm/

- fxp, the Intel EtherExpress Pro driver

Can someone give me some hints as to where a good place to set the
breakpoints would be, or pointers to further information about
FreeBSD networking?

Thanks.
--
Craig Rodrigues