Date:      Tue, 9 Feb 1999 00:53:39 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>
To:        Geoff Rehmet <geoffr@is.co.za>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding DHCP client to src/contrib/

> It may even be necessary to use bpf initially, but there must be a more
> elegant way - having a quick look around - it would be a good idea to
> look at the code which already exists in libstand
> (/usr/src/lib/libstand/bootp.c).

There is.

    Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 15:20:45 -0400 (EDT)
    From: Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>

    ..snip..
    The problem is that the network code assumes, at a very deep level,
    that you can't have any IP traffic until you have an address
    configured (and this is wrong, but requires work to fix).

    -GAWollman

Unfortunately, I don't have the knowledge of the part of the kernel that
needs changing.

--
-- David    (obrien@NUXI.com  -or-  obrien@FreeBSD.org)