Date:      Sun, 14 Jun 1998 14:48:01 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>, gmarco@giovannelli.it, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv and audio ... (Avermedia)

Amancio Hasty:
 |Søren Schmidt:
 |> Thats not the point, the driver mostly only works by defining an
 |> OVERRIDE_BLA anyhow, this only adds (my patch that is) an entry
 |> for cards that uses these values, so we can tell people to do
 |> an OVERRIDE_BLA instead of patching....
 |
 |Actually, we are going to tell people to set a sysctl variable so they
 |don't have to patch the driver.

You guys know best, but is there really no way to tell these apart?  Is
there not some PnP ID, Vendor ID, or something that'd be different between
the cards?

I see they both have the same tuner signature.  Same I2C list too (0xc2)?
Is there an EEPROM on this card (I notice ioctl(BT848_REEPROM) fails for
Gianmarco's Avermedia; does this mean it doesn't have one or we just don't
know how to read it)?

So sysctl seems convenient if we "have" to resort to forcing the user to
tell us what card they've got, but auto-detecting if at all possible would
be a bug plus for usability and save a lot of questions (FR1236 tuners,
etc.etc.).

Randall