Date:      Mon, 21 May 2001 08:39:48 -0400
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can not change ata modes

I'm trying to slow down a hdd to see if I can solve a reliability
problem. However, when I issue the command (as root):
sysctl -w hw.atamodes=---,pio,pio,---,---,---
Nothing is changed. No errors are issued, sysctl simply tells me that
it's changing from ---,pio,dma,---,---,--- to ---,pio,dma,---,---,---
which is obviously not what I wanted to do.
Anyone have any advice, hints on what's going on here? This is a promise
ata100 controller and the system is currently running FreeBSD
4.2-RELEASE. (it's the same system I referenced in previous posts
regarding HDD problems)

Bill