Date:      Sun, 02 Nov 1997 14:40:45 -0600
From:      dkelly@hiwaay.net
To:        "Jamil J. Weatherbee" <jamil@trojanhorse.ml.org>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?=DEor=F0ur?= Ivarsson <totii@est.is>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 7400 gates effected by probe routine

> Ah... Thanks, What your'e talking about a 7401 (open collector nor) or a
> 7405 (open collector nand) (TTL Cookbook pg. 137), unfortunately I don't
> have a choice with this
> so I probably will just forget the probe routines.

Was wondering what kind of designer would tie the outputs of (2) TTL
7400 gates together. Now as I understand it, the output gates that are
tied together are OC.

So what are you worried about? This is what God made OC parts for.

OC outputs never source current, they only sink it. To make the
circuit work you need a pull up resistor. This resistor, not the number
of other OC outputs on the circuit, determines how much current your OC
"output" has to sink if it wants the circuit "low".

With 74HCxx, a 100k pullup resistor might be usable for very low
current. A 470 ohm pullup may be the practical lower limit for a plain
old 74xx. The really high resistance values will swtich slower, depends
on how much capacitance you have. I usually use 4.7k pullups on HC
parts.

Combining OC outputs on a ciruit results in an inverted-OR. If any one
gate decides the line should be low, it will be. This is most often
seen in CPU reset circuits, and IRQ buses.

--
David Kelly N4HHE, dkelly@hiwaay.net