Date:      Sat, 08 Jun 1996 03:45:34 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
Cc:        "Karl Denninger, MCSNet" <karl@mcs.com>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.de>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The -stable problem: my view

> A great idea! But why does this all openly come out only now? At least
> part of the solution might be just saying - maintainers and mergerers
> for stable needed! Would more volunteer based development of -stable be
> realy that hard?

Because I also think that if you're going to go down the road of
supporting a legacy code base, you might as well do it all the way and
stop fooling around with something that, if it becomes at all
successful, will have highly conservative people counting on it.

-stable has shown that production branches take on an identity of
their own, which is a fine thing in and of itself but something with
its own identity also needs a focal point to make sure that things
stay on a reasonable track.  I think that this needs to be at least
one full-time position and, since trailing-edge development is no fun,
it probably won't come from the volunteer pool (you could get someone,
sure, but not the kind of full-timer I'd be hoping for).

					Jordan