Date:      Sat, 14 Aug 1999 04:26:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Pritchard <mpp@mpp.pro-ns.net>
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        ron@zappa.demon.nl (Ron Klinkien), freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with 4.0 keyboard input!

> In message <000001bee5f0$c467c7c0$0264a8c0@.demon.nl> "Ron Klinkien" writes:
> : After building a few succesfull 4.0 releases (last cvsupped on 13 aug 99),
> : the keyboard is acting very strange, i cannot login,
> : i get only strange characters, and when I hit CTRL I get:
> :
> : load: 0.04 cmd: login242 [ttyin] 0.01u 0.03s 0% 772K
> : load: 0.04 cmd: login242 [ttyin] 0.01u 0.03s 0% 772K
> : load: 0.04 cmd: login242 [ttyin] 0.01u 0.03s 0% 772K
>
> I get that too from time to time.  I think that the boot blocks are
> putting the keyboard into an odd state since I sometimes can't break
> into the boot sequence to boot an alternate kernel.  So far it has
> been confined to my Sony VAIO.  Never could come up with a good test
> case for it, however....

I've gotten my some login prompts on a vty to mess up like this by
leaving a book or something sitting on the keyboard at a vty login
prompt.  Most of the times it will let you type alphanumeric characters
in, so you can login via that vty.  Once or twice it just totally hosed up
the vty login, and everything I typed acted like I typed control-t and
gave me the status message, or printed out odd control characters.
It wouldn't even let me switch to a different vty.

If I let it sit for long enough, the login would timeout, and it
went back to normal.

-Mike
--
Mike Pritchard