Date:      Wed, 16 May 2018 08:30:25 -0500
From:      Mark Felder <feld@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "O'Brien Wes (R0A) Manchester University NHS FT" <wes.obrien@mft.nhs.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-elastic@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade from Elasticsearch 5.x to 6.x in ports

On Wed, May 16, 2018, at 04:33, O'Brien Wes (R0A) Manchester University NHS FT wrote:
> Hello, we're using Elasticsearch 5.x installed from ports, however I was
> wondering how I would upgrade to the 6.x version as they are two
> separate ports; it was suggested to me that I should just uninstall 5.x
> as it won't remove any index data and then install 6.x - is this the
> recommended way to do it? Once I've installed 6.x do I just point the
> configuration file to where my index data is and it'll just work?
>
> Thanks for any advice.

That's pretty much the procedure. Do you have a multi-node cluster? If so, you'll have to be careful about how you upgrade. It's not very straightforward as you have to stop ingesting data, freeze/flush the nodes, then upgrade them one at a time. Once they are all at the new version you can return things back to normal.

The tooling for this is very poor, IMO...

https://www.elastic.co/guide/en/elasticsearch/reference/current/setup-upgrade.html

--
  Mark Felder
  ports-secteam & portmgr member