Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 10:07:00 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD's aggressive keyboard probe/attach

Snipped the other recipients and moved to -chat, since we've moved out
of -current's subject area. :-)

On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Chris Dillon wrote:
> [ ... Belkin OmniView firmware version ... ]
>
> > > Little square sticker with rounded corners on the bottom, about
> > > 1/2" by 1/4", with just the version, e.g. "1.9"...
> >
> > The 4-port OmniCube on my desk only has version 1.5, but that probably
> > doesn't matter (how would I upgrade it?  I have a ROM burner).
>
> I don't know how you would upgrade; it isn't flashable.  A
> quick look at their web site doesn't show new versions
> available; I rather think it would violate your warranty.

I just popped the hood and apparently they are using two Microchip
PIC16C57C microcontrollers, not a ROM and seperate CPU or MCU.  I can
program that type of MCU, but these are only one-shot devices, so
can't be reprogrammed.

> > The only
> > caveat with these two KVM switches hooked together is that it is a
> > real PITA when I hit Scroll Lock twice to change consoles on the
> > remote KVM that sometimes the local KVM will see the same sequence and
> > think I want to change consoles on it instead.  I wish there were a
> > way to disable the keyboard shortcuts on the OmniCube and just use the
> > front-panel button.
>
> There's actually a way to do the cascade correctly; you can see
> the product manuals on line.  They have a "magic" keyboard cable
> that you *must* use, and then they have two di switches that you
> have to set "off" for the cascaded device.  Good luck!

They don't support cascading of any type with the OmniCube series,
apparently.  There are no dipswitches on my OmniCube anywhere either.
I'll probably have to get a different KVM switch if I want to avoid
the keyboard shortcut annoyance. :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet
   - Available for IA32 (Intel x86) and Alpha architectures
   - IA64 (Itanium), PowerPC, and ARM architectures under development
   - http://www.freebsd.org