Date:      Tue, 13 Jan 1998 22:31:16 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Splash screen (splashkit) for 3.0 systems...

>>> It's a very short step from there to a semi-graphical login (eg. login
>>> dialog rather than login/password prompt.)  I could see people liking
>>> that.
>> Good point, although the graphical login window is really best handled
>> by xdm, and I don't really see people wanting a graphical login window
>> being requested without a full graphics system (ie, X).
> I just thought it would look "pretty".

I agree, it would.  And I don't mind making things look pretty; I
don't mind aesthetics for aesthetics' sake.  But when I'm in a mood
for aesthetics, I can switch over to X, switch my window mangler to
Enlightenment, and use it.

>> Okay, let me get opinions:
>> * What do people want?  I see a couple of possibilities:
>> 1. A graphical idle screen that shows things like fractals or bitmaps
>> with rotating palettes,
> This is commonly called a "screensaver".  I would suggest that any
> effort in this direction be focussed on providing an interface for
> graphical screensavers.

Yeah, I kinda came to the same conclusion on my own.

>> 3. Something that shows just a login window
> Kinda makes it seem fairly pointless, doesn't it?  Given that you have
> to deal with forking off login and all that, it stops being attractive
> fairly quickly.

Well, I can handle forking off login and all that.

See, last night, after I decided to start doing this, I did.  I made a
copy of getty, renamed it to ggetty, and started making
modifications.  It's actually fairly simple to do a basic idle
routine.  Enclosed is a (proof-of-concept quick-hack
no-warranty-applies) patch I made to do just this, drawing random
lines on the screen.  I started to modify it to use munching squares,
and pondered the most efficient method of doing the palette rotations
for smoking clover, and so forth.  Then I realized that I was thinking
of things to do that are effectively screen savers.

>> * Is this really going to be the best way to go about it?
> No.  Reflection doesn't really indicate that.

Okay, let's back up.  Why did I first think this would be a good idea?

You wrote a splash screen on startup, something to hide the ugly
details of device probes other kernel stuff, and generally add the
graphical appearance which is more appealing to the unwashed masses.
<199801061303.XAA00382@word.smith.net.au> Does this splash screen
serve any other purpose?

Mika asked about making the splash screen stay on until somebody
logged in.  <199801111402.QAA02310@shadows.aeon.net> I lost the
original message, and the mailing list search (actually, all hub http
requests) seems to be down, so I don't quite remember why.  Mika?

I decided to actually make it happen.  This seemed like a really good
idea at the time.  <199801112147.PAA02503@detlev.UUCP>

You said that people would like a graphical login dialog.
<199801120248.NAA01045@word.smith.net.au>  Were you talking about
something in xdm style, or what?

Okay, that seems to be the key messages of why this would be a good
idea.  In general, I think that when *I personally* in a mood to
interact with a computer graphically, I'll use X.  Does anybody else
have an opinion on this?

Also, in general, I agree that the pretty things going on while the
console is idle are best handled by screen savers.  Opinions?

Perhaps it would be best to have an vty ioctl that means 'engage
screensaver immediately, which getty can send
when it starts up, depending on a gettytab setting.  Alternately, we
could use an escape sequence instead, and set it up as the last
character sequence in gettytab's `lm' (login message) attribute.

Well, enough of that, I've gotten in the mood to write a graphical
*SOMETHING* now, so I'll probably be submitting a graphical
screensaver RSN.

Cheers,
joelh

--