Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 10:21:28 +0100
From:      paul@originative.co.uk
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: -stable vs -current (was Re: solid NFS patch #6... )

But no-one is really testing -stable. How many people have a stable machine
and a current machine and spend as much time testing stable as they do
current?

>     It is hard enough dealing with two branches of the source
> tree.  I will
>     personally take my Super Soaker 5000 to anyone suggesting
> that we have
>     *three* !!!!.  Sqirt sqirt sqirt!

The -stable branch shouldn't have anything done to it, that's my whole
point, we shouldn't be merging stuff back into the -stable branch, only fix
specific straightforward problems that don't require complete
re-engineering.

>     I am hoping that we will be able to accomplish a major
> synchronization
>     after the 3.2 release.  I personally believe that
> -current is stable
>     enough that we should do one big-assed commit to sync
> -stable up to the
>     current -current and then continue as per normal.  I only
> wish EGCS
>     hadn't been incorporated quite yet.  At the very least, I want to
>     sync *my* stuff up ( NFS/VM/VFS/BIO/VN/SWAPPER ).

Then what happens to -stable, is it going to get thouroughly tested with all
these changes? You're currently treating -stable as a "beta stable" in that
users who track it are being used as beta testers to find the bugs caused by
merges from current. There's no track for "really stable" users who want to
pick up necessary bug fixes.

Paul.