Date:      Tue, 8 Jan 2002 07:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: misc/33595: libc breaking in -STABLE

The following reply was made to PR misc/33595; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To: "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
Cc: freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 17:32:57 +0200

 On Tue, 08 Jan 2002 05:40:28 PST, "f.johan.beisser" wrote:

 > i know this, but recently having patched gcc with the "stack-protector"
 > made me wish to test a build on *part* of the base system, without
 > rebuilding all of the userland or kernel. libc was one of the recommended
 > pieces to rebuild.

 You _can_ rebuild just libc, but you must use sources synchronized with
 the installed base.  In other words, use the same sources used to build
 world.

 > since you don't know me, i won't take offence to the linux reference (i've
 > not really touched/admin'd any linux machines since about 97, and there've
 > been worlds of changes since then from what i've heard and read) or to the
 > lack of knowledge about FreeBSD.

 No offense intended.  My assumption is simply that folks who're not
 familiar with the tight coupling of FreeBSD's userland and kernel are
 likely to come from a Linux background, where this does not exist.

 > granted, doing a buildworld to rebuild the entire base system is a bit
 > better of a habit (it's what i ususally do), rebuilding everything to test
 > a "modified" compiler is a bit excessive.

 The "mistake" you made was to update your sources to do this, instead of
 just using the sources used for the last upgrade (or the sources
 installed with the binary upgrade / installation).

 Ciao,
 Sheldon.