Date:      Fri, 9 Oct 1998 02:39:14 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Sascha Schumann <sas@schell.de>
To:        Ignatios Souvatzis <is@jocelyn.rhein.de>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Markus_D=F6hr?= <doehrm@aubi.de>, Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>, freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: setting up leased line to ISP

On Thu, 8 Oct 1998, Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:

> > >Gary Jannajohn writes
> > >only if someone who has a leased line implements it :-)
> >
> > I WOULD try ...
> >
> > now it's the question, what I need to get the code up
> > and running...
> >
> > I mean, specification of what is 'leased line'...
> >
> > any suggestions?
>
> AFAIK (but thats no hard knowledge), a German "D64S" line is just like a
> S0 bus, without the D channel signalling. Access the B channel and talk.
> D64S2 (or however the 128kbit variant is called) would use both B channels.
>
> Somebody should verify this peeking at i4l, I think there is D64S support
> for them.

The simplest solution would be to use i4l then. i4l has support for this
kind of leased line for at least one year, so it should be pretty stable.
But, if someone does this because of the `hack value' ... ;)

Is there any benefit over using a simple router and attaching a computer
on this as a 2nd router? We are using such a setup here and we didn't have
to worry about the leased line at all

         ISP <-D64S-> Cisco <-eth-> Bastion host <-eth-> Intranet

    Sascha (remembering the 1TR6 specification, once bought, hardly used)