Date:      Wed, 19 Mar 1997 10:35:48 -0500
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Kernel Object Dependencies

At 01:48 AM 3/20/97 +1030, Michael Smith wrote:
>dennis stands accused of saying:
>>
>> 2 years, 4 releases and kernel object dependencies still dont work!
>> Drat.
>
>Er, Dennis.  While I understand your pique, this isn't very helpful.
>Would you prhaps care to share with us an example that would help in
>_fixing_ this?

Certainly. I brought this up in v1.0 and was scolded badly and told to
"fix it myself"....

A quick sample:

in files.i386:

i386/isa/filename.o	optional	dn device-driver

in configuration file:

device dn0 at isa? port 0x240 net irq 11 vector dnintr

generates the following dependency in the Makefile in the build directory....

filename.o:
	-cp $S/i386/isa/filename.o .

which should clearly be.....

filename.o: $S/i386/isa/filename.o
	-cp $S/i386/isa/filename.o .

I'd be happy to verify/test any fix, except that I dont run current and can
only
test on 2.2....

Dennis

which of course means that updated