Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:39:48 -0700
From:      Paul Querna <chip@force-elite.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Rate Limiting Per-Socket

Hello,
	I am looking at methods to rate limit a single socket to a specific
pipe or rate with FreeBSD.  I would like to make an Apache module that
could do its outgoing rate limit *in* kernel, making the module very
simple, and more accurate by using the kernel todo the rate limiting.

I have been looking at Dummynet and pfil_hooks, but these seem to
operate only on an entire interface.  I would like to have these operate
only on a socket fd that I designate.  Ie a special setsockopt() would
put socket x into pipe a.  This pipe 'a' was setup ahead of time to only
allow 512 kb/s.

Is this possible with FreeBSD?  Do you have any suggestions on the best
way to proceed?

Thank you,
-Paul Querna