Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2001 09:18:14 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Sean Noonan" <snoonan@snoonan.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PROB:  building ports when /usr/ports is a symbolic link?

Sean Noonan <snoonan@snoonan.com> types:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have several FreeBSD boxes and I don't want to cvsup the ports collection
> on all of them, only one of them.  I've created a symbolic link on the box
> that does not have a real /usr/ports directory to the ports directory on the
> box that actually has a /usr/ports directory (e.g., cd /usr ; ln -s
> portspc:/usr/ports /ports).

I assumes that the last '/' on the line is a typo.

> Builds seem to go okay, but when it comes time to actually copying the
> compiled binaries it puts them on the wrong machine, that is on the machine
> with real /usr/ports directory.

Um - how does it manage to put them on the wrong machine? Do you have
the other machine mounted somewhere? More info would be usefull.

> I'm sure there's got to be an easy work-around for this, would somebody
> please share it with me?

I do the following:

1) Export /usr/ports ro, and mount that on /usr/ports on all machines.

2) Export /share rw, and mount that as /share on all machines.

3) On each machine, set DISTDIR=/share/distfiles, PACKAGES=/share/pkg/<plat>,
   and WRKDIRPREFIX to a local directory in /etc/make.conf.

4) All machines then have access to the same /usr/ports tree and the
   same set of distfiles. Each machine can then build independently of
   all the other machines. If I want to share a build, I do "make package"
   and all the machines of that platform type get access to the
   package via /share/pkg/<plat>.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.