Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:06:03 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
Cc:        David <david@bitch.inducedreality.net>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fatal trap 12

> Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 09:32:14 -0700
> From: Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> At 0805 -0700 8/28/2002, David wrote:
> >On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Doug Hardie wrote:
> >>  At 0008 -0700 8/28/2002, David wrote:
> >>  I had similar problems a couple of years ago.  buildworld would hang
> >>  in different places every time.  I finally got it to work by letting
> >>  it run for an hour, then control-Z it to let it stop awhile and then
> >>  continue on.  By doing that for many hours I got the buildworld to
> >>  complete successfully.  Someone here then suggested down clocking the
> >>  processor as that was a frequent problem with the processor I was
> >>  using.  I did that and it has run fine since.
> >>  --
> >
> >Sounds reasonable.  Out of curiousity, what type of processor did you have
> >that this was an issue with?
> >
> >Also, was this a hardware or software change?  (I believe there's a way to
> >do it in software in BSD, just not sure how.)
> >
> >David
>
> CPU: AMD-K6(tm) 3D processor (400.91-MHz 586-class CPU)
>
> I believe it was a 450 MHz originally and I down clocked it to 400.
> It has to be a hardware change.

I have an identical setup and I got it to work properly at 450 Mhz by
applying thermal grease (available at Radio Shack) to the CPU and
heatsink. Took all of 15 minutes excluding the trip to the store.

This fixed the buildworld problem. I now run healthd to monitor the
temperature of my CPU.

If you are not familiar with anti-static handing procedures, DON"T TRY
THIS! If you are, note that you want a THIN coat on both surfaces.

Also, make sure your heatsink fan is running properly!

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)