Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2006 01:49:12 -0500
From:      Chris Buechler <freebsd@chrisbuechler.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6.2-RC1 em(4) issue - freezes during CD boot

Jack Vogel wrote:
> UH, can't do anything if you don't give any information, saying its a
> 'box'
> and it has an 'em' is useless. We have installed RC1 on a number of
> systems without problem.

Yes, I understand that.  I was after what info would be useful.  You
gave me a few ideas, thanks.

As for ACPI, the boot menu option recently changed to "enable ACPI", so
I'm assuming it must be disabled by default now.  I tried with ACPI on
6.2-RC1 and got the same result.

I was able to narrow this down to something that has changed since
6.2-BETA3.  The BETA3 CD boots, installs, and works fine.  The RC1 CD
won't boot, as I described in my first message.

With the em card taken out, the 6.2-RC1 CD boots and installs just fine,
so it's definitely the em card.

Hardware:
Dual AMD Athlon MP 2800+, Tyan Tiger MPX motherboard, 2 GB reg ECC RAM,
Adaptec 2110S PCI-X SCSI RAID, onboard xl(4) NIC, Intel PRO/1000 MT PCI
desktop adapter (ugh, I know it's not well suited for the box, but this
is a personal server and a cheap card that's adequate for my needs).
Drives:  3 x 18 GB SCSI in RAID 5, 1 x 73 GB SCSI on RAID controller but
a stand alone drive, and a 500 GB IDE drive on the onboard IDE controller.

Cheers,
-Chris