Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 2002 10:26:49 -0400
From:      "Lapinski, Michael (Research)" <lapinski@crd.ge.com>
To:        "'j mckitrick'" <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Frustrating Java RMI problem, reprise

The rmiregistry should never be run with *any* classpth at all.
It should never load classes locally over the filesystem, It
gets its classpath from the annotated codebase that is gets from every
Remote object that registers with it.

If the registry is run with a local classpath and you do rmi over
the network (not everythign on the same box) many things will be broken
because the JVM ignores the annotated codebase that comes with a given
Object type if it can be found locally and deserialized. So when a different
machine on the network contacts the registry and gets the serialized stub that
stub will have no codebase and there will be no way for the stub to be
deserialized, resulting in a ClassNotFoundException.

rmiregistry startup instructions:
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.1/docs/guide/rmi/getstart.doc.html#5522

-mtl

Michael Lapinski
Computer Scientist
GE Corporate Research & Development

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
            - IBM Chairman Thomas Watson, 1943