Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:28:54 +0400
From:      ryndin@mtk.comcor.ru
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Firewall and Oracle SQLNet

Hi everybody!
Does anybody manage to install firewall before an Oracle SQL Server? We need to
allow a few remote users to connect to our Oracle SQL Server. We install FreeBSD
box with ipfw and discover next problem: we allow for remote users to connect to
the Oracle box using port mentioned in SQLNet listener configuration (1521). But
remote user try to connect twice: first time using port mentioned above and
second time using some other port, which, as we suggest, Oracle server sent him
during first connection. This port value start from 1030 (after Oracle restart)
and increase after each connection and we don't manage to find it upper limit.
As we suggest, Oracle uses second port to resolve sessions. We think that it is
not a very good idea to allow users to connect to our server using such a wide
port range. We look through all Oracle documentation and don't find any mention
about the second connection. Oracle's people said that we need to use Oracle
certified firewall, but it cost about 30000 backs and what hell of it!!!!! The
question is does anybody managed to restrict Oracle in range of using second
port values or have any idea about how to do it (there is no way to configure it
in SQLNet configuration file).
Thanks in advance,
Alexey Ryndin.