Date:      Fri, 24 Mar 2000 14:12:38 PST
From:      Darryl Okahata <darrylo@sr.hp.com>
To:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What laptop should I buy?

Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> Ever since I got the first "critter" in 1994, it has been obvious
> to me, that the weight is a far more important parameter in a laptop
> than screen resolution or battery life.

     Ah, we need to remember that there is no such thing as a "best
laptop"; it makes about as much sense as the "best car".  Everyone has
different needs and wants.  For you and many others, weight is the most
important parameter.  For me, "features/power" is most important, and
weight/size is somewhat secondary.  My 7500 is almost 10 lbs (~4.5 kg);
I carry it around in a backpack, and the total weight (backpack, laptop,
and lots of junk) can be over 25 lbs (~11.3 kg).  For some people,
that's an enormous weight, but I don't think it's too bad, and I'm NOT a
tall/big person (well, I am beginning to grow sideways, but that's
another matter ;-).

     The sleek VAIOs are attractive, but the lack of a built-in CDROM
drive was what killed it for me.  However, if you don't need a CDROM
drive, it's a great laptop.

--
	Darryl Okahata
	darrylo@sr.hp.com