Date:      Tue, 12 Jan 2010 10:11:59 +0000
From:      Mike Clarke <jmc-freebsd2@milibyte.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Henry Wong <HWong@lumeta.com>
Subject:   Re: pkg_info fails with "leave_playpen: can't chdir back to ''"

On Wednesday 30 December 2009, Henry Wong wrote:

> I'm seeing the same problem with pkg_info on FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE.
> However, I also found that even when running as the root user, if
> I'm in a chroot jail, it does not fail.

Sometime after experiencing this problem I discovered that my ports had
suffered from the accidental introduction of some packages which had
been built for rev. 6.4 (see the thread under
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/2010-January/210421.html).
As a result of this I had to completely remove and re-install all my
ports and I haven't seen the "leave_playpen" problem since then. It
might be just coincidence or it may be that pkg_info just got confused
by all the links to wrong and non-existent libraries. Could it be that
the ports in your main system are corrupt but those in the jail are
clean?

--
Mike Clarke