Date:      Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:03:38 -0800
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@aciri.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@vicor-nb.com>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG, net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: re-entrancy and the IP stack.

struct pkthdr already has a field (struct mbuf *aux)
which i think is used to store info per-packet
state by ipsec, at least according to the comment
(my dummynet hack predated this, i would have used
this field if it had been available at the time).
So this field could be used to access the metadata.

Unfortunately i suspect that making a truly
extensible format is going to kill performance,
because each module would have to hunt its own
metadata in the chain. I'd rather go with specific
fields in the pkthdr pointing/storing specific info
(if you think of it, this is what the pkthdr is.

	cheers
	luigi