Date:      Sun, 17 Aug 1997 13:49:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Donn Miller <dmm125@bellatlantic.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        dmm125@bellatlantic.net
Subject:   Returned mail: Local configuration error (fwd)

--NAA03172.871824042/myname.my.domain

Hello

I got the following mail recently.  I use a dial-up connection (ppp) with
my ISP.  So, I use popclient to download my mail.  However, it seems like
'root' is getting mail from my ISP without even using popclient; it seems
to come straight to my machine automatically straight from the POP server
by itself.

This is probably not what is happening; I think I got it when posting to
some newsgroup.  But I didn't use any pop client mail program to download
it, which is strange.

When using a dialup ISP, I didn't think it was possible to receive mail
directly, since the ISP serves as a gateway (I think).  Maybe there is
a glitch with my service provider.  Any suggestions?

BTW I've created a login with my ISP's username (dmm125).  I figure this
way I can use pine to send outgoing email with the correct return address,
since pine will let me fill in my domain, and my username is automatically
correct.  I was at a loss to find a better way to configure sendmail so
that I can send email as 'root', and still have the return address
'dmm125@belllantic.net', but my 'true' domain stay as 'myname.my.domain'.

The mail I got is shown below (all attachments were sent to me as shown).

Any help appreciated.