Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:16:29 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org>, doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Punctuation round e.g. (was: cvs commit: src/lib/libc/gen getdiskbyname.3 getpwent.3 src/lib/libc/regex regex.3 src/lib/libc/sys clock_gettime.2 mlock.2 send.2 src/lib/libcam cam_cdbparse.3 src/lib/libdisk libdisk.3 src/lib/libedit editrc.5 src/lib/libm/common_source ...)

On Friday, 10 August 2001 at 11:09:03 -0400, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> <<On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 06:45:36 -0700 (PDT), Ruslan Ermilov <ru@FreeBSD.org> said:
>
>>   mdoc(7) police: protect trailing full stops of abbreviations
>>   with a trailing zero-width space: `e.g.\&'.
>
> I cannot think of any circumstance where `e.g.' (or `i.e.', for that
> matter) is correct when not followed immediately by a comma or other
> punctuation, *except* when used at the end of a sentence in which case
> the end-of-sentence space is appropriate.

This appears to be correct US usage, though I don't have final
confirmation.  It is explicitly *not* correct Australian usage.  From
the Commonwealth Style Manual, which is binding for official
Australian publications,

  6.73  Note also that commas should not be used:

  (b) after such abbreviations as:

      i.e.  e.g.  viz.

Given that we have a principle not to change documentation which is
correct in some version of English, I think that this commit is valid.

Greg