Date:      Tue, 15 Apr 1997 15:53:17 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Burton Sampley <burton@bsampley.vip.best.com>
To:        Snob Art Genre <ben@narcissus.ml.org>
Cc:        Lord GoViL <govil@super-highway.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is this a dumb question?

If you're running 3.0-current, just use rmuser.

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Snob Art Genre wrote:

> On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Lord GoViL wrote:
>
> > I can't figure out what I thought should be a easy thing to do. Remove a
> > user from the system. Is there a easy way to delete them or do I have to
> > delete them step by step from wherever thier name appears in the system?
> > help! :)
>
> It's not a dumb question.  There is a perl script called removeuser that's
> available on cdrom.com somewhere, I'm pretty sure.  Or, just follow this
> checklist:
>
> [ ]	rm -r their home directory
> [ ]	use vipw to delete their line in the password file (or change
> 	their password to *, or change their shell to /sbin/nologin)
> [ ]	delete their mail spool
> [ ]	kill any at or cron jobs belonging to them
> [ ]	if they have their own group, remove it from /etc/group

> > Choose no life, no friends, no family. Choose a big computer, hard drives
> > the size of washing machines.  Choose old cars and electric coffee makers,
> > no sleep, high caffeine, a rented shoebox. Choose black jeans and matching
> > combat boots. Choose Sendmail and wondering why you're logged on on a
> > Sunday morning. Choose your future. Choose sysadmining.
>
> I like your sig.
>

>  Ben
>
> "You have your mind on computers, it seems."

---
Brought to you by a 100% Micro$oft free system.  You too can disinfect your
system at http://www.freebsd.org

E-Mail:  burton@bsampley.vip.best.com
Alternate E-Mail:  bsampley@haywire.csuhayward.edu
Home Page:  http://www.best.com/~bsampley (permanently under construction)