Date:      Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:32:26 -0600
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <n@nectar.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portability sanity check

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 05:28:31PM +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> >Type-safety is a cruch for the weak-minded.
                    ^^^^^
> As an old assembler programmer I couldn't agree more, but in a project
> like FreeBSD we have to realize that not everybody is that.

Heh, I was just cleaning out these message from my inbox, and I
discovered that spell-checkers are a crutch for the weak-minded,
too :-)

Thanks for everyone's feedback.  I decided that I'm quite happy to
use type-punning for more-or-less primitive types when building
comparison functions and the like.  For more complex stuff, it seems
simplest/clearest to use a `void *' for internal data, a la db.

Cheers,
--
Jacques Vidrine / n@nectar.com / jvidrine@verio.net / nectar@FreeBSD.org