Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 14:45:35 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        <leroy@3dmasters.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SSH PROTOCOL 2

At 11:00 AM -0700 6/3/02, Admin/Manager wrote:
>    I am using freebsd 4.5 RELEASE and i tryied to make sshd_conf
>run protocol 2 only and now i get this error:
>login as: bozo
>otp-md5 412 la8195 ext
>S/Key Password:
>

>    Then i try to enter a password and i get this error:
>Access denied
>bozo@199.199.199.199's password:
>
>Then i can enter my password and it works fine.

Check your sshd_conf for some lines that look like:

# Change to no to disable s/key passwords
#ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

That second line is probably commented out in your sshd_conf
file.  See what happens if you un-comment it (ie, just remove
the '#').  I think you're tripping over a minor bug in sshd,
which is fixed in later versions.  It thinks you want S/Key
authentication, even though you're not set up for it.