Date:      Fri, 7 Jun 2002 17:09:38 +0200
From:      Christophe Prevotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        Ben <ben@newnet.co.uk>
Cc:        atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hfa0 PCA200E

Lack of interest ?? I have been asking for a whole bunch of things
if "lack of interest" means "no one to develop code" then that maybe
true but if "lack of interest" means "no users of such products" then
this is not true.

Of course if there is no support for ATM in FreeBSD then it is pretty
obvious ATM users are not going to use FreeBSD for this. However I doubt
that this can be considered as a valid reason NOT to support ATM.

Then what about MPLS , if they is no MPLS on FreeBSD there are no
FreeBSD users using MPLS on FreeBSD , is that a valid reason not to
implement MPLS ? I don't think so.

However I know that there are several people that are working on ATM in
FreeBSD and NetBSD, moreover the AYAME project supports some ATM cards
for MPLS over ATM.

I really don't think it's time to drop ATM on FreeBSD. It's like saying
well UUCP is not used on Internet anymore these days so let's drop it.
That is stupid since UUCP IS still used by many people and it is still a
very good way to handle communications where there are no other
possibilities.