Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:27:52 -0600
From:      "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@iteration.net>
To:        Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios <gustavo@ifour.com.br>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: very big mail spool directory

On Tue, Dec 12, 2000 at 08:50:20PM +0000, Gustavo Vieira Goncalves Coelho Rios scribbled:
| i am planning a very big email server, currently i am planning for about
| 8*2^16 users.

[snip]

| What you wizard have to say about my approach?

Why would you not want to have a distributed server in this case?
I would distribute the load between 2-4 servers that will easily
handle the load, creating vastly greater fault tolerance and
redundancy.

Incoming SMTP go to several MX'es and into a database
server.  The master database server would have a slave db server
that constantly syncs its files from the master.  In the case
of primary db server failure, slave becomes the master transparently
by a simple ifconfig(8) command (probably some other small config changes
that can be automated by a shell script).  The db servers cater
to POP/IMAP servers.

Outgoing SMTP is round robined and should not be too much trouble.

So, for projects with less funding, a 3 server distributed system
would be much more preferable.  If your organization has 8*2^16
servers, it certainly can afford 3 celeron/k6/pIII boxes.
(Of course, some people prefer to buy Sun Enterprise10000's...)