Date:      Sun, 12 Jun 2011 05:56:10 +0900 (JST)
From:      Hiroki Sato <hrs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        pluknet@gmail.com
Cc:        dougb@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org, melifaro@ipfw.ru
Subject:   Re: [CFR] rc.conf interface description

----Security_Multipart(Sun_Jun_12_05_56_10_2011_096)--

Sergey Kandaurov <pluknet@gmail.com> wrote
  in <BANLkTikfoQtgVv2Vnkg6Fn4kq68qjqpWRw@mail.gmail.com>:

pl> Hello.
pl>
pl> Some time ago there was a discussion about ifconfig descr integration
pl> into rc. That means you can store interface descriptions in rc.conf file,
pl> so that the descriptions survive between system reboots. To achieve it,
pl> you need to place one-line option into rc.conf, e.g. like this:
pl> ifconfig_em0_descr="Uplink to Gigabit Switch 1", or
pl> ifconfig_vlan8_descr="description '1 2 3' vlan 255 vlandev IFACE"
pl>
pl> so after reboot or manual `rc.d/netif restart $iface` invocation, you''ll see
pl> something like this:
pl> vlan8: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
pl>         description: description '1 2 3' vlan 255 vlandev IFACE
pl> [...]
pl> And rc.d/netif stop $iface removes description from a network interface.
pl>
pl> You can see the previous discussion in -current@ and -rc@ mail archives:
pl> http://www.mail-archive.com/freebsd-current@freebsd.org/msg124513.html
pl> However, that time it went nowhere due to luck of time/interest.
pl>
pl> Recently I learned that this patch is actually used.
pl> I was requested to integrate it into the head.
pl> I'd like to collect your opinions/objections/thoughts to ensure whether
pl> there are might be issues preventing from committing it.

 I have no strong objection but I am still wondering if we really need
 to have the dedicated variable for ifconfig descr.  Is simply
 specifying ifconfig_IF="descr FOO" not enough?

-- Hiroki