Date:      Sat, 06 Jun 2020 18:54:17 +0100
From:      Luke Ross <luke@lukeross.name>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with cdce/cdceem as a USB-device on R-Pi

Hi,

On Wed, 2020-06-03 at 20:13 +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On 2020-06-03 19:51, Luke Ross wrote:
> > cdceem0: WARNING: cdceem_bulk_read_callback: USB_ST_ERROR:
> > USB_ERR_STALLED
>
> Try to have a look at the USB traffic using:
>
> usbdump -i usbusX -f Y -s 65536
>
> At both client and server side. Might be a controller driver bug, or
> the
> chip is out of available endpoints, I.E. that you can only have
> either
> ethernet or serial, but not both.

Thanks for the suggestion. I gave it a try, but unfortunately my
knowledge of USB isn't enough to really understand what's going on; I'm
rather out of my depth here.

In cdce mode (no network traffic), when I start the ping there's a
brief moment of USB activity at both ends, and no usbdump errors
logged. After that, the USB activity completely stops at both ends
(empty log) even though the ping is still running.

In cdceem mode (network traffic passes, but regular stalls/timeouts)
you can see the stalls in the usbdump logs on the host, but it doesn't
seem to consistently affect one endpoint - several endpoints seem to be
used during the cdceem communication and the stall typically affects
more than one (at different times). There's no sign of errors in the
dump on the device.

One weird observation in cdceem mode - if I ssh into the device, the
ssh process will eventually timeout when negotiating the connection
(the login never completes). However if I leave a ping to the device
running in the background, the USB stalls still happen but the ssh
session works as normal (albeit with spikes in latency) - suggesting
the extra traffic is able to somehow "unstall".

Many thanks,

Luke