Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2019 00:35:00 +0200
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Martin_Waschb=C3=BCsch?= <martin@waschbuesch.de>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PHP version retirement

> Am 10.08.2019 um 12:53 schrieb Carmel NY <carmel_ny@outlook.com>:
>=20
> On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 10:17:44 +0200, Martin Waschb=C3=BCsch stated:
>> Would it not be better to have, say, the last two versions before
>> current stable still in ports but with a huge disclaimer saying: use
>> at your own risk, etc.?
>>=20
>> What do y'all think?
>>=20
>> Martin
>=20
> If I might be allowed to interpolate, I believe that continuing to
> expose obsolete versions of software in the 'ports' system is a bad
> Idea. It is enabling the use of software, that for one reason or
> another has been superseded by a newer and possibly safer or more
> mature version.

Following your argument, there should no longer be a port of e.g. gcc48 =
in the ports tree as that, too, is no longer supported upstream.
I am not saying old software should never be retired, but the end of =
upstream support as the *only* criteron for removal from ports tree does =
not sound like a good idea to me.

> Usually, when a version or application is going to be removed from the
> 'ports' system, it is duly noted well in advance. I would recommend
> that we set a hard number, say 6 months or one year at max before said
> software is removed. That should give even the most procrastinating
> user ample time to render his/her system ready for that inevitability.
> It they have not accomplished that with the set time frame, they
> probably were never serious about doing it.
>=20
> Just my 2=C2=A2.
>=20
> --=20
> Carmel

What happened here was:
A port was updated to the last release upstream was going to publish, =
and *very* shortly afterwards removed from ports because support ended =
with said release.
In the case of PHP 5.6 it was not even the last release. PHP 5.6 was =
removed from ports before the final upstream release.

I think that a fixed time *after* the last upstream release would have =
been a sensible solution.=