Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2013 21:34:56 -0800
From:      Kevin Oberman <rkoberman@gmail.com>
To:        Thomas Mueller <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>,  "freebsd-stable@freebsd.org Stable" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, Alfred Perlstein <bright@mu.org>
Subject:   Re: BIND segway -> python -> first-class ports

On Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 2:49 PM, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com> wrote:

> Thomas Mueller wrote this message on Tue, Dec 10, 2013 at 12:05 +0000:
> > > gpart info is already in XML from sysctl kern.geom.confxml...
> >
> > > And disklabel has been retired and replaced by gpart...
> >
> > -- John-Mark Gurney
> >
> > > XML doesn't work for everyone, and as far as disklabel, wasn't aware
> > > it was toast in HEAD, it's still around in 9.2 and we've been doing
> > > most of our development there so oops!
> >
> > -- Alfred
> >
> > I just looked in FreeBSD-current, and it appears disklabel, hard-linked
> with bsdlabel, is alive and well.
> >
> > Man page does not show deprecated.
>
> Maybe retired was too strong of a word...  But it is recommended you use
> gpart, since bsdlabel can't handled writing when other partitions are
> open...
>
> --
>   John-Mark Gurney                              Voice: +1 415 225 5579

While bsdlabel lives, it is very painful to use once you learn gpart. A
parseable output from gpart would be wonderful. Another would be netstat.

FWIW, the fact that JunOS can output most everything in XML is a great
thing that I wish every router and OS did! (Not the XML part, but a format
suitable or easy parsing. JSON would probably be even better.)
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkoberman@gmail.com