Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 09:01:59 -0700
From:      Jason Evans <jasone@canonware.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: Kernel thread system nomenclature.

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 02:16:16PM -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:

> Almost all of the current 'proc' pointers being passed around the system
> in syscalls will be changed to the #4 item. In addition, most accesses to
> curproc would point to a curthread (curr-#4) or a curr#3, so the names
> selected will be used a lot.
> The exctent of these edits almost makes it worthwhile to call the #4 item
> 'struct proc' as the size of the diff would be MASSIVLY reduced.. :-).
> (everyhting to do with sleeping, blocking, and waking up would
> avoid changes, and everywhere a syscall passes down "struct proc *p"
> would avoid changes.

I think there is a clear argument for #1 to be "struct proc".  I don't much
care what #2, #3, and #4 are called.

I am of the rather strong opinion that calling #3/#4 "struct proc" is a bad
idea in the long run.  Yes, it would reduce the diffs, but it would be
terribly confusing to those who weren't versed with the development history
of KSEs.

Jason