Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 01:14:44 GMT
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IDE and ASUS P/I-P6NP5

In article <521.842510031@time.cdrom.com> you wrote:
: Hey, folks, I think this whole SCSI vs IDE debate sort of misses the
: fundamental point, which has nothing at all to do with "which is

 But we have to have it... along with the usual "FreeBSD vs. Linux",
 "Why not to buy Matrox", and "Willows Windows Emulator?" threads :)

[cut]

: So when you sum it all up, I guess this means that IDE should be
: considered very important and dealt with accordingly as a large
: segment of the existing and potential market. At the same time,
: however, our volunteer nature brings it all down to who'll do the
: work, and step 4 in our modified list is what needs to happen now if
: any progress is to be made here. :-)

 Unfortunately the people most likely to be technically capable of doing
 this sort of work won't because they probably run SCSI, and hence
 have _zero_ motivation for doing this.

 When someone decides to produce more than hot air on this issue then
 we'll probably see something.  I'm quite happy with the situation
 because I run SCSI with one large IDE for some bulk storage...

 Keep up the good work! :)

 Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds