Date:      Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:51:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Luoqi Chen <luoqi@watermarkgroup.com>
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, peter@netplex.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: init runs with console as control terminal?

:
:> /etc/rc's shell is a controlling process with control terminal /etc/console,
:> so /dev/console is supposed to be revoked when /etc/rc's shell exits.
:>
:Control terminal is for job control, and we don't need job control during
:/etc/rc's execution, so why don't we change init not to acquire a control
:terminal when executing /etc/rc. Then there's no need for the revoke,
:syslogd/postfix would be happy, and anything that doesn't daemonize could
:also be safely started as a background process. For now, I'll be using
:nohup to start rc5des.
:
:-lq

    no control terminal == no signals == no ^C'ing hung programs during
    startup (for example, when you need to boot a machine without a working
    network and sendmail and other programs stop the boot sequence in its
    tracks trying to do DNS lookups).

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>