Date:      Tue, 13 Mar 2001 17:34:13 -0600 (CST)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.demon.nl>, <scsi@FreeBSD.ORG>, <fs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Disk I/O problem in 4.3-BETA

On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> In message <20010313215405.A4567@freebie.demon.nl>, Wilko Bulte writes:
>
> >> My ideal product would be a PCI card with some SRAM, and a holder
> >> for a 9v DURACELL.
> >
> >Sounds like a PCI Prestoserve card to me. DEC used to produce these.
> >Price? Dunno, probably steep. But Prestoserve cards might find themselves
> >now on the scrap heaps.
>
> Yeah, well, I can't rely on them showing up on eBay if I want to
> deploy them, can I ?  :-(
>
> Anyone know a sympathetic hardware vendor who might be co-opted into
> producing a product if we promise to make FreeBSD users want one ?

It should be fairly trivial to increase the battery capacity to cover
your needs on the existing boards that already offer the ability, even
by yourself, if not by the manufacturer itself.  I've seen external
RAID controllers that used 6V lead-acid batteries for the memory
backup... at that point, it would be very easy to stick a larger
battery (or batteries) in place to meet your needs.  I'm not sure who
makes PCI boards which use external batteries, though, nor ones that
use low-power SRAM instead of DRAM (which would actually be a good
application for the super-caps, since they could power the SRAM much
longer than DRAM).

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For IA32 and Alpha architectures. IA64, PPC, and ARM under development.
   http://www.freebsd.org