Date:      Tue, 18 Apr 2017 12:44:22 +0300
From:      Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        "Eugene M. Zheganin" <emz@norma.perm.ru>
Cc:        "stable@freebsd.org" <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: freebsd on Intel s5000pal - kernel reboots the system

On Tue, Apr 18, 2017 at 01:28:33PM +0500, Eugene M. Zheganin wrote:
> Hi,
>

> I need to install FreBSD on an Intel system with s5000pal mainboard. The
> problem is, that on the kernel loading stage, FreeBSD reboots the
> server. Like, always and silently, without trapping. I have plugged out
> all of the discrete PCI controllers, leaving only onboard ones. Still
> reboots. I was suspecting this is some kind of hardware problem, so I
> ran the memtest (no errors for two hours) and I've even switched the
> server (I have two identical ones). New server reboots too. So, looks
> like it's some kind of FreeBSD issue. I've updated the BIOS on both,
> tried to boot without ACPI - and this doesn't help (and without ACPI
> FreeBSD refuses to even start to load kernel).
You did not provide any information about your issue. It is not known
even whether the loader breaks for you, or a kernel starts booting and
failing.

Ideally, you would use serial console and provide the log of everything
printed on it, before the reboot.

What kind of boot do you use, legacy BIOS or EFI ?  What version of
FreeBSD ?