Date:      Tue, 14 Sep 2004 00:06:48 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quick and simple ssh(1) question

Erik Trulsson wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 13, 2004 at 10:15:47PM +0100, Mark Ovens wrote:
>> Is it correct that you can't ssh(1) between two machines on the same LAN
>> (using NAT) _via the Internet?_
>
> What do you mean 'via the Internet'?  If both machines are on the same
> LAN any connections between them will never go outside the LAN, and
> thus never go near the Internet.
>

>> Strange question I know, but I need to be able to access one of my
>> machines, postie, remotely. I've got sshd(8) running and can ssh(1) to
>> it from a local machine using it's local hostname. However, since I only
>> have a single 'net connection here I tried to test connecting remotely
>> by ssh(1)'ing to my router's 'net-facing hostname but I get
>>
>>   ssh: connect to host <router_hostname> port 22: Connection refused
>>
>> Port 22 is forwarded to postie on the router.
>
> Most likely your router is configured to only forward connections that
> come from the outside.

As I said, it was only a test and I was hoping that by using the
router's external hostname it would "simulate" an external connection,
obviously it doesn't.

> Does it work to access 'postie' via ssh from some machine that is
> *actually* on the outside?  If it does, then it is the configuration of
> your router which is not doing what you want it to.

I don't have access to one until I get to work tomorrow which was why I
was trying to simulate it - whilst I have the target machine in front of me.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Mark